I don't claim to be a great cook or to have any original recipes. I love collecting new and interesting recipes and I especially love all my old favorites that I have used over the years. Many recipes are from family and friends and I love them because every time I use them I am reminded of that person and/or some great memories that are attached. I am using this format to begin to put all my recipes in one place. I have attempted this in many different ways but none have been very successful. I am hoping that this will do the trick. Right now for recipes I reference a few different cookbooks, a small 3x5 card box, and a large plastic tub with loose papers. Not a great system. This is my new leaf. Ideally, every day I can put at least one of my recipes into this blog. This will make it so easy and quick for me to refer to and also to share my favorites with friends and family who ask for recipes.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Elephant Ears

Otherwise known as scones or sopapillas. I grew up calling them Elephant Ears and they were a staple in our house. We would make them almost as big as the plate. Mom always made homemade bread so there was always fresh bread dough to use.

Fresh bread dough
Cooking oil 2 to 3 inches deep in skillet, heated

Break off chunks of dough and flatten all around with hands
Fry in hot oil on both sides until golden brown
Remove and drain on paper towels

Serve hot. Topping suggestions: Honeybutter, butter, jam, powdered sugar

We have started a tradition now of making these on Halloween evening after the trick-or-treating is done and we are all back home. The kids can bring their friends and we usually have some grown-up friends too. They go great with Hot Cocoa!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I didn't know they were called Elephant Ears! I want to start this tradition, how yummy!

    ReplyDelete